West of Hanover
Saturday morning at approximately 1:45am. Hanover & Kent fire departments was paged to a report of a chimney fire located at 9260 SR 56 Lexington.
According to Hanover Fire Chief Phillip Meredith, when first units arrived on location the drive was blocked by down trees and power lines. When fire units was able to get to the location of the structure they quickly saw it was a structure fire and not a chimney fire. Fire officials called for additional resources from the Blocher fire Department and North Madison engine company #5.
Chief Meredith said the house was not a total loss however there is major fire, smoke and water damage to part of the structure where the fire started. Chief Meredith stated It was the quick actions of the fire crews that prevented the structure from being a total loss. Chief Meredith also stated Fire crews was successful in recovering five animals from the structure there are alive and well. Fire crews remained on location for approximately 5 hours.
Chief Meredith stated he was assisted by the Jefferson Country Sheriff’s Department, KDH EMS and the Salvation Army.
Chief Meredith stated there was no electric to the structure at the time of the fire do to the recent ice storm. He wants to remind residents when using other types of heat sources make sure you check your chimney for cracks and or other damage before use. When using generators be sure they are in a well ventilated area.