The structure had very little damage from the fire
Saturday at approximately 7:15 am the Hanover fire department was paged to 216 smith lane in Hanover on the report of smoke in the residents. Chief Meredith stated the First unit on scene found heavy smoke in the residence. The fire was located in the laundry room of the structure. Fire crews kept the fire contained to the laundry room. The structure had very little damage from the fire.
Chief Meredith stated that at the time of the fire the residents had working smoke detectors, they was sounding when first unit arrived on location. Chief Meredith said that the residents was asleep at the time of the fire. The smoke detectors sounding woke the residents alarming them of the trouble.
Chief Meredith was to remind everyone to check their smoke detectors. This is a prime example of how important working smoke detectors are when there is trouble while sleeping. He also wants to remind everyone with cold weather approaching our area to use caution when using alternative heat sources.